One of the top concerns expressed by buyers of commercial real estate is always the roof. And rightfully so. The average flat commercial roof lasts approximately 15 – 20 years. That means if the building was built in 1994 the roof is nearing the end of its expected useful life.
Handling a roof at the end of its life costs tens of thousands of dollars…or does it?
We are always looking for cost-effective solutions to handle building issues for our clients. We have come across one that can cut the cost of re-roofing down to a small percentage of what traditional re-roofing costs: That is what is known as Cool Roofing. There are many reasons why this is such a good approach and an excellent solution to prolonging the useful life of commercial flat roofs.
Here are the main ones:
- Per the California Energy Commission “Cool roofs are highly reflective, highly emissive (meaning heat emitting) roofing materials that stay 50 to 60 degrees F cooler than a normal roof under a hot summer sun.” 50 – 60 degrees!! If this was the only benefit it would be amazing, however, that is only one benefit.
- Cool Roofing cuts energy costs by reducing the need for air conditioning.
- Cool Roofing cuts the cost of maintenance and increases the life expectancy of the roof.
- In addition to all that, the cost of the cool roof, depending on the type and methods used can be as much as 25 – 35 % the cost of a new roof. That’s right… as much as 75% cost savings of a new roof!
- Because this is a method that is applied over the top of existing flat roofing systems, there is also the environmental advantage of saving our land fills the burden of all the removed materials involved in a conventional reroofing project.
When I say prolong the life of the roof what I mean is that if the roof is in reasonable shape now and this coating is put on and maintained your roof will last indefinitely. That’s right, it will last for as long as you want it to provide it is properly maintained.
Why We Think a Cool Roof System is a Good Option
So far, the clients I have recommended the Cool Roofing solution to are delighted with the results and relieved at the availability of this effective and economical solution to this key issue.
At Commercial Real Estate Inspectors our goal is not only to make sure you and your agents know the exact condition of the building but to help you find effective solutions to what comes up as a result of our inspection. I am continuing to study this new method of prolonging the useful life of commercial flat roofs and will update you with information as I study and verify it.
We really enjoy giving my customers good news. We love to give them solutions. The roof is one of the single most expensive fixes on any commercial real estate building. To be able to really handle the roof along with lessening environment impact for usually less than 30% the cost of a new roof is good news indeed.
Call us TODAY and book your next inspection! I usually say “I hope this helps”. Iknow this one will.